Secure Your Intellectual Property Through A Patent
There is no doubt that the United States is the home of great inventions and great inventors. Our creative spirit abounds in the devices, technology and products that make their way through the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) every year. If you or your company has an invention you would like to see patented, Nordan Licensing can provide the legal guidance you need.
With his technical background and his experience helping individuals and businesses of all sizes, patent attorney Parrish Nordan understands the steps needed to successfully prosecute a patent. A registered patent lawyer with the USPTO, he is based in Dallas and Birmingham. However, he is available to help clients across the country.
Steps To Patent Prosecution
Although the word prosecution may conjure images of contested litigation or even criminal trials, in patent law it simply means the process of pursuing a patent. In order to establish the legal rights to making, using or licensing your invention, you must meet the basic requirements of:
- Novelty – You must demonstrate a new idea that has never been presented to the public before and is not an obvious improvement to an existing invention.
- Usefulness – Your invention must serve a purpose and works in the manner for which it is intended.
- Industrial applicability – Your invention must be useful in some type of industry.
The law allows for patents on articles of manufacturing, machines, processes and compositions of matter. Registering other types of intellectual property, such as trademarks and copyrights, follows a different process.
Filing for the patent requires certain steps, including:
- Patent search – Your invention must be original and unique to qualify for a patent, so you must make sure that a similar patent does not already exist.
- Provisional application – In some cases, you may wish to file a provisional application while you are working on the final application, which can take time.
- Prosecution – You must request approval of your formal application and establishment of your patent by the USPTO as your final step. You may need to respond to questions and concerns the USPTO has regarding whether your invention meets certain requirements for granting a patent.
An experienced lawyer will help you present your case in the best manner possible to increase your chances for approval and forestall questions regarding your invention’s qualifications.
Types Of Patents Handled By Nordan Licensing
Parrish Nordan’s scientific background and legal experience allow him to focus on the following types of patent cases:
- Biotechnology patents – Examples include medical device patents and cannabis/CBD/hemp variety patents
- COVID-19 related patents – Innovative biotechnology or biopharmaceutical solutions to stopping the spread of, or even curing, COVID-19
- Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning patents – For example, patents on neural networks for health care technology companies
- Internet of Things (IoT) – Common household objects, such as thermostats or garage doors, that have software allowing you to control them through an app on your phone
- Aerospace patents – Advances in aerospace innovation call for strategic legal protection
Innovations and inventions change our world every day. When you are ready to pursue a patent for your invention, turn to Nordan Licensing for a trusted legal partner who will help you achieve your goals. He can also help you if you have questions or concerns about infringement and enforcement matters, international business needs and business advice for tech start-ups.